Paralegal Career in Utah
Follow the step by step process on how to become a paralegal below:
- Pursue Your Paralegal Education in Utah
- Find Paralegal Work Experience in Utah
- Seek Certification as a Paralegal in Utah, If Desired
- Find Paralegal Jobs in Utah
- Now That You Have Become a Paralegal in Utah
Paralegal Job Description in Utah
Job growth numbers as reported by the Utah Department of Workforce Services and published by the U.S. Department of Labor show that for the two-year period leading up to 2021, the number of jobs for paralegals in the state is likely to increase by more than 4%, opening up about 370 new positions during this time.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics shows that those new to the field can expect starting offers at around $31,990 as of 2019, while the median salary for paralegals in Utah was $50,380 that year. Find the right position with the right Utah-based law firm and you could see that go as high as $78,960.
Follow these steps to learn what it takes to become a paralegal in Utah.
*Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which paralegals work. BLS salary data represents state and MSA (metropolitan statistical area) average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the Utah Department of Workforce Services are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
Pursue Your Paralegal Education in Utah
Utah has yet to mandate education for paralegals who want to work in the state. The Utah State Bar Paralegal Division and the Utah Paralegal Association, however, both recommend that aspiring Utah paralegals pursue specialized education in the field.
Utah Paralegal Online and Campus Schools
<!- mfunc feat_school ->
Paralegal programs in Utah may be of two types: American Bar Association (ABA)-approved or not. Whether you attend an ABA-approved program is your choice, although some Utah employers prefer graduates of ABA-approved programs when they are hiring new paralegals.
ABA-approved paralegal programs in Utah include:
- Utah Valley University – Orem
- Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies
- Associate in Science in Paralegal Studies
- Salt Lake Community College – Salt Lake City
- Associate of Applied Science in Paralegal Studies
Find Paralegal Work Experience in Utah
Most ABA-approved paralegal studies programs in Utah will require that you complete a paralegal work internship as part of your graduation requirements. If your program does not offer this type of internship, or should you wish to pursue additional work experience in the paralegal field on your own, why not contact one of the many legal services or pro bono agencies across Utah that help the disadvantaged?
- Utah Legal Services, Inc. – Salt Lake City
- Utah State Bar Pro Bono Commission – Salt Lake City
- Utah Legal Services Clinics- Brigham City, Ogden, Farmington, Park City, Tooele, Provo, Richfield, Manti, Moab, Price, Vernal
- Mountain View Legal Clinic– Layton
- American Indian Free Legal Clinic– Salt Lake City
Certification as a Paralegal in Utah, If Desired
Paralegal certification in Utah is not necessary in order to work there. Some employers prefer to hire certified paralegals, and the Utah Paralegal Association has therefore recommended the following national certifications bestowed by the National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA) to paralegals who are interested in certification:
- Certified Paralegal (CP) – Attainable through examination for entry-level paralegals
- Advanced Paralegal Certified (APC)- Designed for paralegals who have worked for two or more years in the field and wish to specialize in an area of law
Find Paralegal Jobs in Utah
Paralegal jobs abound across Utah within law firms, corporations, financial institutions, academic institutions, non-profit groups, government agencies and more. Employers of Utah paralegals have included:
- GEICO-Salt Lake City
- Long Okura, PC, Attorneys at Law – Holladay
- Holland & Hart, LLP – Salt Lake City
- IMDS – Logan
- eBay – Salt Lake City
- Durham, Jones & Pinegar – Provo
- National Guard – Springville
- Fillmore Spener – Provo
- Prince, Perelson & Associates – Salt Lake City
- Goldman Sachs – Salt Lake City
Now That You Have Become a Paralegal in Utah
Congratulations to you! You have studied hard, worked hard and now have a paralegal job in Utah to show for all of your hard work. If you have not already, consider joining a paralegal association in Utah that advocates for those within your profession, such as: